Monday, August 24, 2009

A Question to Fellow Hobbyists: Greenstuff

I suck at using greenstuff. I am never going to be a sculptor, and I don't really expect anything fancy to appear when I'm rolling the yellow and blue together. However, I would like to be competent at filling gaps and such. I think I need some help.

After my recent experience with the Beast of Nurgle, I noticed that the ends of the greenstuff--where I attempted to smooth over a gap--were slightly raised, and did not blend smoothly with the rest of the model. It's as if when I was pulling the greenstuff over the model, the ends didn't stick. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening in the future?

And when can you start working with the greenstuff? Do you roll it up, apply it to the model, get the general shape and then wait for a while before trying to get make solid designs/shapes/forms?

2 comments:

Joe B said...

I hear you on the problems with green stuff. I also have a hard to time using it to fill small gaps, but one thing that does help is to put a bit of super glue into the hole, stuff a gob of gs into it and let it set, the gs will then stay in place and you can sculpt the outer area smooth. Oh and always keep your sculpting tool wet, either with water or vaseline.

Shrink to Fit said...

The dab of superglue makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely have to try that out next time. Thanks for the tip!